Working with a local school to assess training needs and develop a bespoke programme
I was approached by a local school and as a result of COVID and staffing issues they had been unable to hold any mandatory First Aid training sessions.
It was May time and they had realised that once the new term started in September they would not have any staff on site with the appropriate First Aid qualifications. They would ideally have liked all the staff to undertake some training but there were budget constraints, as well as issues with staff cover.
What did I do?
I worked with the school contact to review their First Aid needs on a risk based approach in line with their First Aid Risk Assessment.
We identified three areas where First Aiders were needed:
- In the Early Years Department, where the full 12 hour Paediatric First Aid course was required
- For other children in the school
- For staff First Aid
We discussed various scenarios including After School Clubs to ensure that our risk assessment included enough First Aiders at all time.
By the time we had reached this stage of discussions, it was June so time was of the essence to develop a programme before the school became busy with end of term activities.
What was the outcome?
We agreed that three staff should receive the full three day First Aid at Work qualification. These staff were offered a blended course so they did one day with an existing cohort, one day virtually and one day in the school setting.
We then agreed an additional three staff would benefit from attending an Emergency First Aid at Work (one day course) and three required the full Paediatric First Aid course (two days), both of which were held in the school setting.
What was the feedback?
- The best first aid I have attended. Really informative and well delivered. I feel a lot more confident now. Thank you Jill and Greg
- Felt very relaxed throughout. Both instructors were very friendly, informative and helpful
- Best First Aid at Work course I've ever attended. Really enjoyable and informative - thank you!
- Thank you for the course. Greg was very engaging and the information and direction was delivered in a really relaxed and easy to understand way and with humour. Really enjoyed it and feel knowledgeable and confident
- I really enjoyed the course. I especially liked the need to knows and the good to knows
- Greg was brilliant in his delivery of the courses – friendly, approachable, evidently experienced and full of knowledge
- We all found the courses really interesting and engaging.
What difference did this make?
All staff successfully passed the Course ensuring the new term started with appropriate First Aid provision in place.
The school felt that:
- Jill Webb Training provided us with exceptional customer service and training, right through from our initial enquiry to the delivery of the courses.
- Jill was extremely helpful and knowledgeable in determining what training was required for each of our members of staff, and was really generous with her time and very thorough going through all the options and then advising the best training solutions for us as a school.